This post contains an affiliate link. Learn more.
These protein bites are pretty simple to make but so delicious I couldn’t keep it to myself! This recipe is based on the Chocolate Fudge Bites from Running with Spoons. My alterations here are substituting protein powder for the oats and the addition of a little vanilla extract and salt. I’ve also modified the amounts to make a smaller batch.
What I love about this recipe is that it comes together quickly, tastes amazing and is actually pretty healthy (although still high in sugar thanks to the naturally sweet dates). When you divide the dough into 12 bites, each one comes out to 50 calories.
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup protein powder (I used Bob’s Red Mill Whey Protein)
- Sprinkles, additional cocoa powder or powdered sugar, optional
- Place the dates, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times and then process until ingredients combine into a sticky mixture.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl and add the protein powder. Knead it in with your hands until a smooth dough forms. Let sit 5-10 minutes if you have time.
- Press the dough out into a rectangle and divide into equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to make a small ball.
- Optional: Garnish each ball by rolling it in powdered sugar, cocoa or sprinkles.
- Store, covered, in the fridge.