This is the first follow-up recipe from a New Food Friday–see the previous post for a quick overview on kumquats including where to get them, how to store them and some other ideas for using them.
Almost as soon as I tasted my first kumquat I started thinking about ways I could use this sweet and sour fruit; paring it with spicy ginger seemed like a good start! The result is this bowl of oatmeal, which is like a bright little spot of sunshine on a gloomy winter day.
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup almond or cow’s milk
- 1/3 cup water
- pinch salt
- 4-5 kumquats, washed, sliced and de-seeded
- 1 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger (use less if you don’t like a strong ginger taste)
- 1 tsp chia seeds, optional
- dash vanilla extract, optional
- Place oats, milk, water and salt in a small saucepan. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the kumquats, ginger and chia seeds, if using. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla and additional milk or water if necessary to reach the desired consistency.
- Top with additional kumquats and/or ginger and serve.
*Nutrition facts calculated using unsweetened almond milk, chia seeds and vanilla