This recipe uses Friday’s New Food, harissa–a spicy paste made of chile peppers, garlic and olive oil. The avocado toast is inspired by a similar recipe shared on Vegetarian and Cooking. If you’ve never tried harissa, this is a great introduction!
- ½ avocado
- 1 slice hearty bread
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mash the avocado in its shell or a small bowl with a fork. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toast the bread. Spread the toast with a layer of harissa, followed by the avocado. Top with cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. When the oil shimmers, crack the egg into a bowl and gently pour it into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid to help set the white.
- When the egg is almost cooked, place the toast in a toaster oven or under the broiler. Cook or broil for several minutes until the cheese begins to brown. Remove to a plate.
- Top the toast with the egg and additional cheese and serve.