I have gone most of my adult life thus far thinking that I did not like kiwi. I don’t know if I had a bad experience as a kid or what, but for many years I avoided kiwi at all costs.
However, in the spirit of trying new things (or re-trying old ones), when I saw kiwis appear at the grocery store this spring I decided to buy one. I really had no idea what I was doing or how to pick a ripe one. Fortunately, once I got my kiwi home, my husband was happy to explain that the one I picked was under-ripe and too firm, so I set it in the fruit bowl for a few days. When it had just enough give to it, like a ripe peach, he taught me how to slice it in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. I was immediately hooked on its sweet, slightly sour and almost melon-like taste.
The next time I went to the store, I bought a whole package of kiwis. And from there, it was time to experiment, so of course I turned to oatmeal. This recipe pairs kiwi with vanilla and almond milk for an almost tropical twist on breakfast.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small kiwi, peeled and diced, half diced and half sliced
- Place oats, almond milk and water in a small sauce pan and set over medium heat.
- When the mixture boils, turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds, vanilla and the diced kiwi. Cover the pan and let sit 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon the oatmeal into a bowl and top with remaining kiwi.