As a firm believer that hot sauce makes almost everything better, it was only a matter of time before this salad came about. I made this salad on a day when I really wanted buffalo wings, but had no time or energy to actually go get said wings and no chicken with which to make them.
Hence, the vegetarian version. I always have chickpeas on hand, and while they’re not really a substitute for chicken, they’re delicious doused in hot sauce and sauted until crisp on the outside. I like to serve the salad right away, giving the warm chickpeas a chance to melt the cheese just a little and playing up the contrast between hot and cold.
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 tbsp light ranch dressing
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, diced
- 1 oz mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
- garlic powder
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the salad greens and dressing with tongs. Remove to a serving bowl and top with the vegetables and cheese.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the chickpeas with hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add the chickpeas to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until crispy and browned in places.
- Pour the warm chickpeas over the salad. Top with additional hot sauce or dressing if desired.