So, the classic eggy wrap is pretty great. Scrambled eggs, cheese and hot sauce all wrapped up in a tortilla for a perfect, delicious and (if need be) portable meal.
If you skip the hot sauce, add in spicy sausage and switch the cheese…you have something different, but just as delicious! A coworker made the suggestion to add chorizo (thanks, Derek) and it totally works. If you like breakfast tacos, you’ll like this.
For this recipe, I’m using Johnsonville chorizo, which comes in packs of five sausage links. When I bring the package home from the store, I wrap the links in plastic wrap, bag them and freeze the whole package. It’s easy to just grab one link and defrost it quickly in the microwave whenever I feel like making these wraps. You’ll need about 2 ounces per wrap (one chorizo link is about 4 ounces, so it’s perfect for making two at a time). You can also use bulk chorizo.
- 1 link chorizo (4 oz), removed from casing and crumbled
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas (I use soft taco-sized)
- Cooking spray
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz diced mozzarella or Monterey jack, or crumbled queso fresco
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Crumble in the chorizo. Cook through, stirring occasionally. Remove the cooked sausage to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the grease.
- Head a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Warm the tortillas for a few seconds on both sides and remove to a plate.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray. Pour the eggs into the pan. Let cook undisturbed until the whites begin to set, then break the yolks with a spatula. Use the spatula to pull the cooked egg toward the center of the pan so that the uncooked portion can flow out.
- When the eggs are nearly set, add the chorizo to the pan and stir into the eggs. Add the cheese, and stir just another minute or so until it begins to melt.
- Divide the egg mixture between the two tortillas. Wipe out the pan and set it back on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Roll the tortillas into wraps (see this post for how to wrap it) and place seam-side down in the frying pan. You can weight them down with another pan to help get a good seal. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve.